Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserves’ Bayologist Day Camp
Marine Seasonal Day Camp – Week-long sessions during Winter Break, Spring Break and Summer Break
*Adventurous children ages 5 – 12 are invited to join the program!
9am – 3pm – Pelican Harbor Marina, Miami
Every session, the Bayologists enjoy boating the bay, paddling the calm waters, wading and walking the shoreline; dipping their nets below the surface to study and identify different species of wildlife, playing active environmental games, participating in hands-on art and science activities, and learning from local scientists and activists.
Each camper becomes a steward of Biscayne Bay with the Aquatic Preserves and understands how their actions affect the environment around them. When a camper attends one week of each season – Winter, Spring and Summer…,they earn their BBAP Junior Bayologist Certificate, complete with an achievement ceremony and photo with a BBAP Biologist. Once a Junior Bayologist, the campers are encouraged to continue attending to learn more and more about where they live.
Space is limited in this very popular camp…sign up early to save your space!
Price per week is $225 with a 15% Sibling discount.
- For children age 5-12. Drop-off program 9am-3pm weekdays.
- Children should be comfortable around water and preferably able to swim.
- Registration and payment in advance only.
- Refunds will not be given for not showing up, credits will only be considered for emergencies.
- Bayologist Camp is rain or shine.
- Cancellations due to extreme weather are determined by the staff of BBAP and Pelican Harbor Marina.
- Each participant must have a signed BBAP waiver per week of camp
Attending Bayologists MUST have:
- Protective, closed-toe shoes for all participants (adults and staff included).
- Closed-toed, hard-bottomed water shoes need to be packed daily and worn in all water activities…FLIP FLOPS, RAIN BOOTS AND CROCS DO NOT COUNT AS WATER SHOES.
- Old sneakers will suffice if water shoes unavailable.
- Campers will also need shoes for running and pack an additional pair of flip flops each day to be worn for bathroom change and indoor time.
- Clothes for wading and netting if included in day– water/swim clothes. Hats, sunglasses, sun-shirts and towels are recommended.
- Sun protection applied before camp by parents, bug protection only as needed – eco-friendly is encouraged.
- A low or no-waste lunch and two snacks.
- No Styrofoam is allowed at the marina, and plastic is discouraged, campers are encouraged to pack their trash out and take it home.
- Eco-FILLED water bottles that can be refilled.
- No Styrofoam is allowed at the marina, and plastic is discouraged.
- Water is availabel to re-fill water bottles.
Participants are welcome to bring along masks, snorkels, goggles, their own nets, etc. BBAP will supply game and netting supplies, buckets, PFD’s, vessels and paddles.
The Pelican Skipper boat is managed by Miami Dade County and Pelican Harbor Marina and its use is based on availability and at the captain’s discretion. The boat is a 40-passenger catamaran cruiser, with shade , seating and a licensed captain. PFD’s will be provided and worn by children under age 18 while on boat or kayak.
Swimming is only allowed at designated times with adequate supervision – provided by BBAP. Otherwise water exploration and play will be playing in shower or wading only to the knees. All children must wear provided PFD’s when on the boat or in kayaks.
All proceeds go to support the Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserves.